Saturday, July 16, 10:00 am at Fisher Bee Farm, located at 1 Queen Bee Lane, McVeytown, PA 17051. PSBA will sponsor this year’s picnic.
Based on your comments, we are offering educational presentations at this year’s picnic. We are fortunate to have Mark Dykes from the University of Maryland as our speaker and we look forward to informative and entertaining presentations.
There will be a queen swap and sale at the picnic. If you have quality queens that you want to trade to diversify your genetics or sell to beekeepers with no queens to swap please bring them. This is a great chance to try out some queens from different parts of the state.
As always, the picnic is a FREE event. We ae requesting that attendees register so we can plan for the lunch or you can email Treasurer@PAStateBeekeepers.org or call Bob at 412-508-0820 to let us know you are coming. Please let us know by 11 July if possible.
PSBA will provide the main course of fried chicken and grilled brats. Drinks, cups, plates, napkins, and cutlery will be provided. We ask that attendees bring a side dish or dessert to share. We also ask that attendees bring chairs. There are some picnic tables in the picnic area, but chairs will be needed for the educational presentations.
2022 Pennsylvania State Beekeepers Association Summer Picnic Schedule
- 9:45 am Coffee and donuts available
- 10:00 am – 10:10 am: President’s Welcome & Comments – Mark Gingrich
- 10:10 am - 10:25 am: Honey Queen Kristyn Maurer Comments
- 10:25 am – 11:00 am Open Q&A/Panel Discussion – Mark Dykes, Mark Gingrich, Steve Repasky
- 11:10 am – 12:00 pm: Proper Hive Inspection Techniques – Mark Dykes
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm: Lunch
Fried chicken & brats provided by PBSA
Side dishes and desserts provided by picnic attendees
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm: Combined Executive Committee & Membership Meeting – separate agenda
- 2:10 pm – 3:00 pm: Requeening: Why requeen and how to introduce a new queen for best acceptance – Mark Dykes
- 3:00 pm – 3:30 pm: Clean up
We can’t thank Aaron enough for agreeing to host the picnic again at W. Fisher Bee Farm. We hope you can join us to see old friends and make some new ones.
Directions from Mt. Union:
At the 522 and 22 merger (just outside of Mt. Union), continue on 522N, 22E for approximately 7 miles to Ferguson Valley Road. Make a left hand turn onto Ferguson Valley Road, travel approximately 1 mile. Queen Bee Lane will be on your left.
Directions from Lewistown:
Take the 522 South bypass at Lewistown, follow approximately 11 miles to red light in McVeytown. Continue straight on 522S/22W for 7 miles to Ferguson Valley Road. Make a right hand turn onto Ferguson Valley Road, travel approximately 1 mile. Queen Bee Lane will be on your left.
Note that it is not recommended to use a GPS to find it; if the GPS has not been updated it will route to a different location in McVeytown.